Former youth minister now teaches math

Liska Best

Mr. Robert Vaughn explains an Algebra 2 problem to a student.

Crystina Gonzales, Staff Writer

Mr. Robert Vaughn moved with his family to Mansfield over the summer, and now teaches the newest wave of upperclassmen Algebra II and Algebraic Reasonings.  

The Jagwire: Why did you become a teacher/ How did you get into education?

Robert Vaughn: I served in the church as a youth director 20 years before I moved into teaching. I wanted a career in which I still had the opportunity to interact with students. Both my parents were educators, and I love math, so it seemed an easy decision to become a teacher.

TJ: What college did you attend? What made you want to go there? 

RV: I graduated from Texas A&M University and chose A&M because I started college planning to be a Computer Science major.

TJ: What are your hobbies?  

RV: Right now my hobbies are my kids, but I like to sing in the church choir, cook and eat really good food.

TJ: Where did you grow up? What school did you attend? In what activities were you involved?  RV: I grew up in Deer Park, Texas and graduated from Deer Park High School.  I was on the swim team and was the yearbook editor my senior year.  I also was in the art club and the math club.

TJ: How many years have you been teaching? Where else have you taught? 

RV: I have been teaching 13 years. I have taught at Troy Elementary School in Troy, Texas, Copperas Cove ISD DAEP, SC Lee Junior High and Copperas Cove High School

TJ: What is your least favorite thing about teaching? 

RV: Grading papers

TJ: Why did you decide to teach at Summit? 

RV: My family moved to Mansfield over the summer and when I was interviewing, I was impressed with the administration, and they were the first school to offer me a job. It is also very close to my home.

TJ: What’s your favorite thing about teaching?

RV: My favorite thing about teaching is seeing students “get it.”

TJ: Do you have any children? How many? How old are they? OR Tell me about your family.  

RV: I have 2 children. My son is in 7th grade and my daughter is in 2nd grade.

TJ: What do you enjoy about Summit?  

RV: So far, I have appreciated the support and encouragement from the staff.

TJ: Have you been in MISD in the past? Where were you in the past? OR where have worked in the past?  

RV: In education. I was a Youth Minister in the United Methodist Church for 20 years. In Youth ministry, I served in churches in San Antonio, Houston, Grapevine and Fort Worth. I also worked as an auditor for 4 years in San Antonio and Houston

TJ: When you were in high school, what was your plan for your?  

RV: Until my junior year, I was going to go into business, but my senior year I switched to be in computer science. After my first semester in college, I switched back to business and got an accounting degree.

TJ: What’s your favorite grade to teach? Why? 

RV: I like a wide variety of levels, but I guess my favorite is sophomores, juniors and seniors because they are in classes that I enjoy teaching the most.

TJ: What kind of teacher would you describe yourself as? 

RV: I want to see students succeed, and I will work to see that happen if student’s want it too.