Position change

Coach Mutterer makes move to AP office

Sophia Nguyen

Sophia Nguyen

Yasmine Muhammad, Staff Writer

Sophia Nguyen

After spending much of his career guiding his basketball teams from the sidelines, Jason Mutterer has made a game-changing move. Coach Mutt, as he is known throughout the school, is once again an assistant. This time, an assistant principal.

Mutterer, the school’s only head boys basketball coach who also taught AP Human Geography, was promoted during the summer. He is already making an impact.

“Mutterer is doing a great job as an AP. One of his strongest attributes is building relationships with students,” said Jared Peters, the school’s academic associate principal.

Students couldn’t agree more.

“I think he’s a really good teacher,” junior Divine Nwokoye said. “He is good with kids, and I think that will help, because now he’s able to reach out to a larger group of people.”

Of course, without that everyday interaction in the classroom, Mutterer knows reaching them may take a bit more work.

“It is probably going to take time to get to know more here,” he said. “It’s going to take longer to get to know my students.”

That’s not his only task now, either.

“The challenging part is to get things done. I come here [Summit High School] everyday with a list of what I want to get done, answering emails,” Mutterer said. “Then things happen, school happens, kids show up.”

He may have a lot on his plate, but Mutterer knows he has a big responsibility when it comes to the students. His main goal of an assistant principal is to take care of students with certain problems in the classroom.

“As an AP, I see those who are having potential discipline issues,” he said.

Discipline is one area Mutterer hopes to see improve. He also hopes to increase participants in extracurricular activities.

“The number one thing is our culture, our kids being involved as much as they can in different activities,” he said.

By getting the students involved, he also hopes to build relationships. It’s important to him to start interact with students he hasn’t met before.

“You get to build a lot of one-on-one relationships, because you have a lot of one-on-one time with students, and you see them every day,” Mutterer said.

Mutterer hopes his ability to connect as he has done in the classroom and on the court, will reflect in his new position.

“They now see me and are able to, not just know me as an AP, but who is here, and is going to be an advocate for them,” he said.

• Position change

Features

Spring cleaning

• Position change

Features

Best of the best

• Features

Celebrating Black History Month

• Position change

Features

Feeling The Love

• Position change

Features

Crafty Fundraiser

• Features

Tough choices

• Features

Junior finds success on YouTube

• Position change

Featured Multimedia

F.R.O.G. Week kicks off Thursday

• Features

Summer Jobs

• Features

The Most Important Meal of the Day

Position change