Student Signings

Vin Nguyen, Staff Writer

With second semester here, graduation is right around the corner. That being said, seven athletes have made their decision on one of the most important things following high school– college.

On Feb. 4, the athletes and their families signed the athlete’s letter of intent to further their education at their desired colleges. Caitlin Oliver signed to the University of Science and Arts in Oklahoma; Scott Sorensen signed to Frank Phillips College in Borger, Texas; Kendrick Welsh signed to Texas A&M Commerce in Commerce; Garred Johnson and Isaiah Barnett signed to West Texas A&M; and Keith Johnson and Russell Lemelle both signed to Dordt College in Sioux Center, Iowa.

“I’m so excited, they have a really good soccer team, and I like the coaches.” Oliver said.

The athletes all had a positive reaction; they’re all looking forward to attending their selected colleges. With college ahead, a lot of students are nervous to start their college experience alone, however, Keith and Lamelle will go out of state to Dordt College together.

“It feels good that I don’t have to go to Iowa by myself,” Lemelle said. “I’m going with a teammate.”

Both Lemelle and Keith really enjoyed their visit to Dordt College. Barnett and Garred won’t have to worry about going to college alone either.

“It relieves some of the pressure,” Garred said, “I’ll have someone I know.”

Facing college alone is nerve wracking, but these outstanding football players will luckily not be in it alone.

With these athletes leaving the nest, their colleges also provide the home-like feeling that Summit brings.

“I chose West Texas A&M because it has what I feel at Summit,” Garred said. “It feels like home.”

There were many opportunities for these Summit athletes. Summit High School and many other people expect great things from them in the future.

Student Signings