Playoff Preview: Football vs. Tyler

Josh Martella, Editor

Summit takes on Tyler John Tyler in the second round of Texas high school football playoffs at Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium in Rockwall on Friday at 7:30 pm. The drive is about an hour, without rush hour traffic, so here are some stats that you can use to impress your friends on the drive there:

• Tyler is ranked 18 in the state, 132 in the nation, by MaxPreps.com. Comparatively, Summit is ranked 91 in the state and 760 in the nation.

Offensively:

• Tyler has 2486 passing yards, 1918 yards on the ground and a total of 5625 all-purpose yards.* Summit, in comparison, has 1700 yards through the air, 2768 rushing yards and 5178 all-purpose yards.*
  • Tyler has a combined quarterback rating of 121.8, compared to that of Summit’s 109.0 QBR throughout the season.

*All-purpose yards include yards gained by passing, rushing and kickoff- and punt-returns.

On the defensive side of the ball:

•  Tyler has 29 sacks all season to Summit’s 14 sacks.
  • Tyler has 15 interceptions while Summit has only four.
  • Tyler has 16 defensive fumble recoveries; Summit has 10 of them.
  • Tyler has 38 tackles for loss, and Summit has tackled the ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage 53 times this season.

On special teams:

• Tyler has 456 kickoff-return yards and returned one for a touchdown; Summit has 571 return yards and returned none for a touchdown.
  • Tyler has made 67 percent of their field goal attempts, while Summit has made 92 percent of theirs.

Overall:

• Tyler has scored 65 touchdowns, 480 points all season. Summit has scored 54 touchdowns, 412 points all season.

Around the District:

District 14-5A Champion Timberview (10-1) defeated Seagoville (8-3) 56-6 at Kincaide Stadium on Thursday at 7 pm. They will face off against former district foe Ennis at Newsom Stadium on Friday at 7:30 pm.

Runner-up Lancaster (7-4) lost to South Oak Cliff (8-3) 34-37 at Midlothian ISD Multi-Purpose Stadium on Friday at 7:30 pm. Their season is over.

Fourth Place Lake Ridge (7-4) defeated Kimball (7-4) 42-17 at the Grand Prairie Gopher-Warrior Bowl on Friday at 7:30 pm. They go against Longwiew (9-2) at Tyler Rose Stadium on Saturday at 3 pm.

Playoff Preview: Football vs. Tyler