Highlights of the Sports Year

The 2013-2014 school year was filled with memories, like boy’s basketball and soccer going to round four in playoffs, three girls from powerlifting going to state, and the football team beating Lancaster in a win-or-go-home game and going two rounds into the playoffs. That’s just a fraction of what happened this school year. This year has been a successful year for Summit sports.

Football had a rough start to their 2013 season, dropping all three of their non-district games, but picked it up when it mattered with big district wins over Waxahachie, Lake Ridge, Red Oak, and Legacy. One of the greatest moments of the season came in the last game of the regular season against Lancaster. The winner of this game would move on to playoffs, and with a 17-yard field goal, the Jaguars won by two points. They played Nacogdoches in the first round and won their first game by more than a touchdown, 25-15. Their season ended with a rainy loss to Wylie in the second round. Their record may not have been great, but it was still better than what most people expected after the start to their season.

The basketball teams had successful seasons. Although the girl’s team only went two rounds, ending with an upset loss to Sulphur Springs, they finished their regular season in first place, losing only at Seguin. The boy’s team went the furthest into the playoffs in their history with a loss in the fourth round to Dallas Kimball, the eventual 4A State Champions. It was a surprising run, giving that the Jaguars finished third in district losses. All in all, any season that ends in playoffs is a good season.

Both soccer teams played well enough in district to make it into playoffs. Girls soccer made playoffs through a tie-breaker game against Crowley, but their season ended with a loss to Kennedale in the first round. However, like basketball, the boy’s team made their own history by going four rounds deep in the playoffs, ending with a loss to Trophy Club Nelson, also the eventual 4A State Champions.

Some side notes: in girl’s powerlifting, three athletes went all the way to state, along with many others in track. Baseball was ranked in the Top 25 in the state for the most of the season, giving Legacy its only district loss, and made playoffs with a second place finish in district. [Edit 5/5/2014: Baseball lost to Corsicana in the first round of playoffs.]

This has been a very successful year for Summit athletics. Coaches will hope this trend continues for years to come.

Highlights of the Sports Year