Playoff Preview: Football vs. Spruce

Josh Martella, Editor

As you may know already, Summit takes on Dallas Spruce in the opening round of Texas high school football playoffs at Midlothian ISD Multi-Purpose Stadium on Thursday at 7 pm. But here are some stats and figures that you may not know about the two teams:

• Spruce is ranked 711 in the state, 7673 in the nation, by MaxPreps.com. Comparatively, Summit is ranked 76 in the state and 612 in the nation.

Offensively:

• Spruce has 767 passing yards, 1676 yards on the ground and a total of 2621 all-purpose yards.* Summit, in comparison, has 1547 yards through the air, 2428 rushing yards and 4662 all-purpose yards.*
  • Spruce has a combined quarterback rating of 53.9, compared to that of Summit’s 107.8 QBR throughout the season.

*All-purpose yards include yards gained by the offense, defensive (interceptions and fumble recoveries), and special teams (kickoff and punt returns).

On the defensive side of the ball:

• Spruce has four sacks all season to Summit’s 14 sacks.
  • However, Spruce does have nine interceptions while Summit has only four.
  • While Spruce has only one defensive fumble recovery, Summit has 10 of them.
  • And while Spruce has just one tackle for loss, Summit has tackled the ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage 53 times this season.

On special teams:

• Spruce has 176 kickoff return yards and returned two for a touchdown; Summit has 571 return yards and returned none for a touchdown.
  • Spruce has made 50 percent of their point-after attempts, while Summit has made 97 percent of theirs.

Overall:

• Spruce has scored 30 touchdowns, 198 points all season.
  • Summit has scored 46 touchdowns, 276 points all season.

Around the District:

District 14-5A Champion Timberview (9-1) faces off against Seagoville (8-2) at Kincaide Stadium on Thursday at 7 pm.

Runner-up Lancaster (7-3) plays South Oak Cliff (7-3) at Midlothian ISD Multi-Purpose Stadium on Friday at 7:30 pm.

Fourth Place Lake Ridge (6-4) goes against Kimball (7-3) at the Grand Prairie Gopher-Warrior Bowl on Friday at 7:30 pm.

Playoff Preview: Football vs. Spruce