Good Readers, Better Writers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Good Readers, Better Writers

There’s no doubt that Summit High School is the place to be! Though, according to our most recent English 1 EOC (End of Course Exam), SAT, and ACT scores, our literacy overall could use a little more support, and guidance.

“The results revealed that as far as reading and writing, our campus is not as successful as we’d like to be,” said Mr. Peters, the Academic Associate Principal here at Summit.

Furthermore, administration has given teachers and students the challenge to incorporate more reading and writing into their daily lives and classroom environment, through SSR (Sustained Silent Reading) time at the beginning of every english class, reading logs, and lesson summaries or critical writing in science and history classes. “By allowing students class time to read and learn to enjoy it, I believe students’ learning will improve across the board, in all subjects,” said Assistant Princiapal, Mr. Pouncy.

“We want to expose students to all sorts of ideas and stories… We’ve purchased more books for our library and classrooms, so that students can find books they enjoy, and learn to love reading. And by enjoying to read, you become a stronger reader, which will only broaden your opportunities to learn, and grow,” added Mr. Peters. With better reading skills, come stronger writing abilities. “When you’re a strong reader, you’re typically a strong writer too,” said Mr. Peters.

Students are responding surprisingly well with the recent efforts taken, according to Mrs. Waneck, a Pre AP English teacher who teaches freshmen.“My freshmen students are really enjoying SSR time in class. Some of them who don’t typically read for pleasure like finding interesting books to independently read- it’s a lot different than reading books assigned to them,” said Mrs. Waneck.

In addition,  it seems that teachers and administration confidently believe that the actions put in place will effectively produce great results, in turn, helping students in every way possible. “All literacy is important when it comes to how ideas are made, and knowledge is exchanged. It’s one of the important building blocks of our society,” said Mr. Peters.

• Good Readers, Better Writers

Fashion

Prom Dress Boutique

• Good Readers, Better Writers

Features

The Teacher Perspective

• News

Dual Credit Ambassadors: Leaders of Tomorrow

• Good Readers, Better Writers

News

Anti-Bullying and Social and Emotional Health: The Community and Committee

• Features

More Than Just A Dance Group

• Good Readers, Better Writers

Features

A different perspective

• Good Readers, Better Writers

News

Coming together

• Good Readers, Better Writers

News

• News

Lasting Impression

• Good Readers, Better Writers

Features

Spring cleaning

Good Readers, Better Writers