Anti-Bullying and Social and Emotional Health: The Community and Committee

Bullying and social/emotional health is a very important issue among students across America and the world. To help address this issue, Mansfield Independent School District (MISD) formed an Anti-Bullying and Social/Emotional Health Committee, as well as current community meetings to enforce changes upon the problem. On Oct. 4th,9th, and 11th there were community meetings held for the people of Mansfield-Arlington to speak on the issues plaguing their children and the teenagers across the MISD district.

These new meetings allowed the Mansfield-Arlington community to speak up about the troubles of schooling when it comes to teenagers. The school board followed through with these meetings to encourage parents and students to discuss the troubles that they see and/or experience and the solutions they feel are best suited to prevent bullying cases within the school district.

“The ultimate goal for the Facebook Live and the community nights, [was] to gather information and give as many people a voice,” said Dr. Kimberley Cantu, the Deputy Superintendent of MISD.

With this voice, the committee, as well as the MISD administrators, must conclude what steps should be taken to address the problems of bullying and the social/emotional health it affects upon the young minds of the MISD school district.

“Once the committee makes their recommendations to executive council, we will study those and then take recommendations to our school board. Then, the school board will have the final say in any policies or procedure changes that we have,” said MISD Superintendent Dr. Jim Vaszauskas.

Addressing topical subjects like anti-bullying and social-emotional health is a major step for schooling and how students get support for the problems they have.

According to a junior at Summit High School, this committee is very necessary, especially for the students that haven’t gotten help for their troubles.

“They need [the committee] because I’ve had friends that have had or gone through stuff and really had nobody to talk to,” said junior, Natalie Fields. “If they could talk to somebody at school, that would help.”

As discussed by the superintendent of MISD, Dr. Vaszauskas, at the Facebook Live meeting, these situations all depend on the Senate’s bill, Bill 179: David’s Law, on the subject of bullying and what it defines.

“As a district, we are really required to follow state law,” said Dr. Vaszauskas when asked by a MISD parent, during the Facebook Live meeting. “That bill states that bullying requires an imbalance of power, where one or more students exhibit certain kind of power over another student.”

Bullying is a topical issue, especially with the rise in the use of technology and social media, causing a much easier way for students to target their peers. Bullying now has been redefined by the age of technology. New forms of torment towards students, now occurs through the screen via social media, text messaging, and more.