Crafty Fundraiser

Annual event brings in vendors, money

Kaytlin Wheeler, Staff Writer

Amazing people, great food, and lots of fun – all of these things and more are what the student band tries to offer at the annual Craft Fest.

The event, scheduled for Saturday, allows vendors to come and sell their homemade goods or artwork they have made. Concessions are sold and visitors can even watch a variety of performances on the stage in the main cafeteria.

“We take the Commons and Jag Room area and the PE gym and we divvy it all out into a grid basically,” band director Chris Kanicki said. “Each vendor has a certain spot that they are assigned and can set up in. The day before we mark all of it off with tape so that everyone knows where their spot is and how much room they have.”

The band boosters, mainly Dawn Samstag, and parent and student volunteers help with making Craft Fest into what it is. The money raised goes back to funding the band. It helps provide equipment, money for the techs’ salaries, and funding for extra band activities. Band member volunteers will help with a variety of activities including setup and cleaning up, helping vendors, directing traffic, and other small tasks they may be needed for. At the event itself, there are many things to do. You can buy any homemade goods or items that vendors sell or you can watch the performances on stage. The performances will include local dancing and singing groups as well as band performances.

“Anyone is able to go,” Mr. Kanicki said. “We try to advertise it to the community. There are people who visit from out of town who are able to go. Anyone and everyone is welcome at Craft Fest.”

Out of these people, more adults buy from vendors than children do. Children mainly look at the items but don’t purchase them. The estimated number of vendors at Craft Fest ranges from 80 to 100. Many of them are local artists though there are a handful from surrounding areas. To become a vendor, you must be at least 21. You have to contact the band booster organization, fill out a form, and pay a small fee to be able to sell your items at the school. There are rules for items that you are allowed to sell.

“You can’t just go out and buy a bunch of items and sell stuff and jack up the price,” Mr. Kanicki said.

All items must either be handmade or produced by a small business. Any edible items must be sealed and it cannot be made to eat immediately because concessions at the event are already selling food.

Craft Fest is a well planned out event. The band doesn’t leave any aspect of it left out; everything is fleshed out, down to the very last detail. Many people seem to be excited for another year of Craft Fest.

“Hopefully there will be lots of people and cool items to purchase,” Roscoe Bussell, a Summit band member said. He is looking forward to going this year and even already has in mind what he plans to buy: a candle that changes its scent as it burns. Roscoe believes that the Craft Fest is a great place for artists to get “out there” and that the items they make have more sentimental value because they are homemade.

Other students, not just band members, and even teachers think that having a Craft Fest at our school is a great idea.

“It sounds like a really cool thing,” Roger Dewberry, a history and photography teacher, said. He went on to add that it was a good community building event and encouraged positive interaction.

• Crafty Fundraiser

Features

Position change

• Crafty Fundraiser

Features

Spring cleaning

• Crafty Fundraiser

Features

Best of the best

• Features

Celebrating Black History Month

• Crafty Fundraiser

Features

Feeling The Love

• Features

Tough choices

• Features

Junior finds success on YouTube

• Crafty Fundraiser

Featured Multimedia

F.R.O.G. Week kicks off Thursday

• Features

Summer Jobs

• Features

The Most Important Meal of the Day

Crafty Fundraiser