A Trip Back to the 50s & 60s

The 50s and 60s were a time of sentimental feeling and the resilient start of rock ‘n’ roll. The unique rhythms and sounds united individuals to rock the night away. It was a great era of music history.

“It’s important for individuals to value songs from the past because they give people motivation than the new generation,” said Carlos Soto, sophomore at Summit High School. “Today’s music puts people down and makes them have the wrong mindset about a situation.”

Paul Anka was an incredible figure of the 50s and wrote soothing love songs. One of his most popular songs, “Put your head on my shoulder,” won great recognition in the music industry. At age 16, Anka released “Diana,” which then became the number one song in the world within weeks. Anka has released more than 120 albums.

Elvis Presley is one the biggest names of rock ‘n’ roll. “Jailhouse Rock” spiraled Presley’s career, as well as influenced a new style of dressing and an introduction to rock. The single “Hound Dog/Don’t Be Cruel” became the third record to sell more than three million copies. Elvis won three Grammy Awards and was one of the first performers inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

“Music is an essential part of culture,” said Jonathan Perkins, sophomore at Summit High School. “Losing our music is losing a part of ourselves and most of today’s music has no true meaning.”

Bobby Darin was an influential artist of the 50s with his powerful voice. In 1959, Darin scored big with two songs, “Dream Lover” and “Mack the Knife.” In the ‘90s, Darin was inducted into both the Rock and Roll and Songwriters Hall of Fame. He then went on to winning two Grammys.

Chubby Checker introduced “The Twist,” a new and rhythmic dance that became a sensational milestone in the 60s. In 1961, Checker released “Let’s Twist Again,” which quickly rose to fame. Checker then released “Slow Twistin” in 1962. By the end of 1965, Checker had an amazing 22 Top 40 hits in the US.

“I feel like I can learn more about the past throughout the music and the lifestyle from back then,” said Nicolette Simms, sophomore at Summit High School. “Our generation talks about irrelevant things, but back then people actually had something to say.”

Dion DiMucci is one of the most developed artists, as he started his career with his band and then went solo. In 1959, Dion released “Teenager in Love,” which reached #5 on the Billboard pop charts. In 1961, Dion had two top five records in “Runaround Sue” and “The Wanderer,” as a solo artist. He was then inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989.

The 50s and 60s were a beautiful time of music history. From artists of different backgrounds and dance moves that could take your breath away, that era was remarkable. Rock ‘n’ roll wasn’t just a style of music, it was a way of uniting individuals with one another and to make them forget all the worries in the world.

A Trip Back to the 50s & 60s