Young-Adult Faceoff

Teressa Leffall, Staff Writer

Divergent is an action and adventure film that includes supernatural conflicts and ideas one could consider similar to The Hunger Games. To set the confusion aside, Divergent and The Hunger Games have two completely different concepts.  However their themes do seem similar.

We are placed into the futuristic city of Chicago as Divergent follows the life of Beatrice Prior. The city is divided up into five factions– Abnegation, for the selfless; Amity, for the peaceful; Candor, for the honest; Dauntless, for the brave; and Erudite, for the Intelligent. Each year, 16 year olds take an aptitude test to decide which faction is best for them. Beatrice Prior is identified as Divergent, meaning that she is suitable to live in Abnegation, Erudite, or Dauntless. Being Divergent is quite uncommon and could be detrimental to Beatrice. Beatrice decides to join Dauntless and begins a harsh initiation period where she endures physical and mental hardships. She proves that she can withstand any obstacle, which leads her to being a target.

The Hunger Games takes place in Panem, a nation that has a Capitol and 12 surrounding districts. As punishment for a past rebellion against the Capitol, one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 from each district are selected by an annual lottery to participate in the Hunger Games. The participants, or “tributes”, must fight to the death in an outdoor arena controlled by the Capitol until only one individual remains. Katniss Everdeen volunteers in place of her younger sister Primrose and participates in the 74th annual Hunger Games, alongside Peeta Mellark. While Katniss and Peeta endure the games, they find a way to outsmart the Capitol.

Shailene Woodley, who plays Beatrice, and Jennifer Lawrence, who plays Katniss, are seen parallel to one other.  Both characters are strong, witty, and rebellious. For that reason alone the comparison between the two movies comes to light. In all actuality, the movies have nothing to do with one other, therefore making the comparison inapplicable.

Divergent is a great movie that is extremely well thought out.  When people get past the comparisons between Divergent and The Hunger Games, Divergent will be more appreciated.  The actors bring Divergent together and the movie, in my opinion, would receive four stars out of five.

Young-Adult Faceoff