The Dark Side of Technology

Vin Nguyen, Staff Writer

Not too long ago, social networking wasn’t important, but between Twitter, Snapchat, and Facebook, it has become extremely prevalent in today’s society.

Cell phone usage is exponentially progressing as years go by and technology increases. Not only do people rely on cell phones for personal purposes, but also as a cure for their boredom. People are constantly on their phones whether it’s at a party, in class, on the computer, and even driving.

According to pewinternet.org, 67% of cell owners find themselves checking their phone for messages, alerts, or calls even when they don’t notice it ringing or vibrating. Not only that, but 44% of cell phone owners have slept with their phone next to their bedside to assure they didn’t miss any calls, text messages, or any other social media updates in the middle of the night. 29% of cell phone users describe their cell phones as “something they can’t imagine living without.”

Although there are teens that are using their phone for social purposes, there are times when they use them for productive purposes, such as research or marking down their calendar.

According to a survey done by The Huffington Post, teens spend more than roughly seven and a half hours a day on social media, watching shows, browsing the web, and social networking. This is a significant amount of time spent on their phones, considering the fact that students are usually at school for 8 hours a day.

In conclusion, cell phones are more advanced today than ever. You can send emails, read, watch shows, listen to music, play games, and send messages via phone with the push of a button. They can be really helpful at times, but teenagers need to challenge themselves to restrain from using their phones because it’s unhealthy and a distraction from more important things.

The Dark Side of Technology