Discrimination Is Everywhere

Teressa Leffall, Staff Writer

Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson shot and killed Michael Brown, an unarmed African American 18-year-old, on Aug. 9.  Eyewitnesses say that Brown was killed while in the midst of trying to surrender. The issue of Ferguson has caused quite a lot of controversy surrounding racial profiling and prejudice.

Some people think that the reason Brown was killed was based entirely on the way he looked. Racial profiling has proved to still be prevalent, as many people took to social media to share their experiences with it. Racial profiling can start at any age, and at Summit, not many people are excluded from it.

Racial profiling is defined as the use of race or ethnicity as grounds for suspecting someone of having committed an offense. The commonality of this today is all too high, and it is usually seen with young African American men. Quite a few students at Summit have experienced racial profiling, recalling it to feel embarrassed and uncomfortable. Sophomore Camryn Gaar recalled a time when he was kicked off an outside-of-school sports team along with several other black boys, subsequently leaving the team with nothing but white players. Gaar explained that this hurt him, and made him wonder if he just wasn’t good enough.

Statistics show that one in every three black men will end up in jail at some time of their life. In a study conducted in 2012, 313 African Americans were killed by police officers, security guards, or self-appointed vigilantes. This means that one black man was killed every 28 hours. Police, the men and women who you are supposed to trust, can prove to be very biased in our world. It seems like they act first and ask questions later. While some students at Summit weren’t quite comfortable talking about their run-ins with the police, some were able to confirm the prejudice they have received by them.

Prejudice is still alive today and it affects many people. It is not a light-hearted subject, and shouldn’t be treated as one. More awareness should be brought towards the subject, and change should come in order for our nation to progress.

Discrimination Is Everywhere