New Enforcement of Old Rules

Asa Rice, Staff Writer

Recently, the faculty decided to begin enforcing rules and making new rules that have not been enforced all year long. Some examples of such rules are changing of seating in the cafeteria, not allowing students to leave his or her classes without a pass from a teacher, enforcing constant movement in the hallways, and restricting hallway directions. Although these rules may be beneficial to the school, there is no point in beginning enforcing them so late in the year. If the administration wants to enforce these rules, they should do so from day one, instead of waiting until there are only two weeks left.

Some might say it doesn’t matter what time during the school year a rule is enforced because there’s no point in enforcing it if it’s not yet needed. Starting enforcing rules at the time when problems arise will keep unnecessary rules from being made.

It does matter what time during the year a rule is enforced because students become accustomed to a routine. If these rules were created to help benefit students educationally, then it would be best to start enforcing them at the beginning of the year. When they stop allowing students to walk a certain way in the halls, it can make them late to class enough to earn them a referral. When they change the seating arrangements in the cafeteria it can change where people sit, and this far into the school year when everyone is already settled down in their area, it can be hard to find a new seat.

If the school wants to set new rules and policies, they should begin them at the beginning of the year and not the end. It will help students get into a consistent routine throughout the entire year and will keep any unwanted difficulties from occurring.

New Enforcement of Old Rules