Jags make college choices official

By Vin Nguyen

Staff Writer

Before the break, four  athletes had the honor of taking they next step in securing their future. On Nov. 11, Ivone Walker, Medric Roberson, Xariah William and Deja Smith signed national letters of intent for college scholarships.

Walker signed with Texas Tech University for a full-ride scholarship for track. Roberson is headed to UT-Austin for track. Xariah Williams signed with Stephen F. Austin University  for volleyball and Deja Smith signed with North Carolina A&T University, where she will play golf.

“Texas Tech is number 12 in the nation for division 1.” Walker said. “They’re one of the most under-rated public schools in my opinion. I’ve honestly been repping Texas Tech University since sophomore year. My goal for 2015 was to be looked at and scouted by them.”

Roberson said he welcomes the challenge of competing in the Big 12 and living in Austin.

“I like the people down there at UT,” he said. “I feel like it’s gonna be the best place for me to push myself to the limit.”

Williams said location played a big part in his decision. SFA is in Nacogdoches, about three hours away.

“I love the environment that Stephen F. Austin has,” Xariah Williams said. “It’s also far away from home so I can easily focus.”

The distance may be close for some, but it’s definitely further for others. Smith will be headed out-of-state to North Carolina to continue her education.

“It has always been a dream of mine to go to North Carolina.” Smith said. “I’m pretty nervous of being a part of the first generation of women golfers at North Carolina A&T.”

.

Jags make college choices official