Michigan, Notre Dame Cap Great Second Week of College Football

Jacob Martella, Staff Writer

Throughout the years, Michigan versus Notre Dame has been a classic. The team with the most wins in NCAA history and a title dispute in 1947 have made it a must-see game for all who call themselves college football fans.

But lately, the two teams have taken a turn for the worse. Both loss legendary coaches and have yet to rebuild themselves back to where they once were. Even in the rebuilding, however, the two managed to compete in arguably the best game in the young 2010 season.

Down by three with the time running down in the game, Notre Dame needed something big to get them back into the game. Fighting Irish quarterback Dayne Crist answered the call with a 95 yard hook up with Kyle Rudolph for the score; however, they left just a little too much time left on the clock.

Star Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson showed his poise on a long drive that was capped with a two-yard run by Robinson with 27 seconds left to seal the Wolverines’ win.

Upset of the week: James Madison over No. 13 Virginia Tech

Many people know James Madison for being the “Father of the Constitution”, however, as No. 13 Virginia Tech found out, Madison can play some football.

James Madison’s Drew Dudzik found the end zone with just over 13 minutes left in the game to put the Dukes up 21-16. Then, Virginia Tech’s Darren Evans fumbled with five minutes left to seal the James Madison win.

The loss kills the Hookies’ chance at a national title after falling to Boise State on Labor Day. Meanwhile, this is the first win over the Hookies for the Dukes.

Player of the Week: Denard Robinson

For those Michigan fans who had a sigh of relief after their game at Notre Dame, they can thank quarterback Denard Robinson for that. Robinson accounted for a school-record 502 total yards, 258 rushing and 244 passing. He also added a Notre Dame Stadium record 87 yard run for a touchdown. On the game winning drive, Robinson capped it off with a touchdown run to win it.

Rankings:

1. Alabama – Number one last year and they have yet to lose, not to mention the fact that they demolished Penn State.

2. Ohio State – The Buckeyes have shown they are for real now with a solid win over No. 12 Miami.

3. Texas – The Longhorns said at the beginning of the year they would be more defensive minded and so far that is exactly what they are doing, and it’s working.

4. TCU – The Horned Frogs silenced any doubters by beating Oregon State, and then backed it up with a thumping of Tennessee Tech.

5. Boise State – The Broncos beat Virginia Tech, but Tech lost to James Madison. What does that say about Boise?

6. Nebraska – The Cornhuskers have survived so far without defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh. So far…

7. Oregon – The Ducks racked up 72 points in Week One and 48 points against Tennessee Tech.

8. Florida – With the recent offense woes, the Gators might not last long in the top ten.

9. Iowa – Not much to say for a team only part of the country sees.

10. Oklahoma – The Sooners are getting their point across with a 30 point margin over Florida State.