Veteran Appreciation

Vin Nguyen, Staff Writers

World War 1 ended with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles on June 28, 1919. However, fighting occurred seven months earlier when a truce between the Allied nations and Germany went into play on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month. Due to this, November 11th was titled Veteran’s Day.

The definition of a veteran is a person who has served in the nation’s armed forces, but there is more to a veteran than just that. A veteran serves our country, defends the rights of our nation, and is the reason that we are free today.

Out of respect for Veteran’s Day, Summit gathered veterans from within the families of our students and asked them to join us in an assembly for this honorable day.

The assembly began with an opening speech from senior Louie Lombardo, our student body president.

“What you’ve given me is the ability to decide how to live my life and the ability to live my life as I know it,” Lombardo said.

Not only does this apply to Lombardo, but also to everyone in our nation. Because of the people who devoted a part of their lives to defending our country, we can live freely as we do today.

“It takes courage to be in the military,” former Vietnam War veteran Carlos Lozada said.

Veteran’s day is not only a time to honor those who were brave enough to defend us, but also to acknowledge the courage that was put forth by those who went to war.

Although not all veterans have actually seen war, they all made an oath that they were willing to die in order to defend our nation. The fighting spirit and inspiring stories of our veterans came straight from their hearts.

Veterans day is a day to honor those who devoted a part of their lives to defend and ensure the safety of us, our families, and our future generations. Because of this, we should acknowledge their sacrifices, and one way of doing this is to simply thank them for what they have done for our country.

Veteran Appreciation